Print Correction Save

Housing Ombudsman Service

The Housing Ombudsman Service (HOS) ensures the fair and impartial resolution of housing disputes. They suggest the following procedure for resolving issues (more details about this can be found on their website):

Step 1: Tenant makes a formal complaint to the landlord

Step 2: Tenant contacts a designated person

Step 3: Contacting the Housing Ombudsman

If it is possible, early, local resolution is always the best resolution. The HOS helps landlords and tenants to resolve complaints themselves at the earliest opportunity. This is the best way of building and keeping good relationships between landlords and tenants.

If the complaints procedure has been completed but the complaint or part of it remains unresolved, and either eight weeks have passed or the complaint has been referred by a designated person, you can ask the Ombudsman to determine the complaint. They will check whether the case comes within their jurisdiction and, if it does, they will seek to resolve it either through their early resolution process or by investigation.

Under their early resolution process they will work with you and your landlord to explore options to resolve your dispute. They will use their experience of complaints handling to try to reach an agreed solution, which is then reflected in an Ombudsman’s determination.

If the dispute cannot be resolved within two months, or if you and your landlord do not wish to take part in the early resolution process, they will investigate the complaint.

PO Box 152, Liverpool, L33 7WQ
Umbrella org:
Housing Ombudsman Service
Area serviced:
0300 111 3000
020 7831 1942
Waiting times:
Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9:15 to 17:15 (except public holidays)
Who is it for:
Tenants or landlords who need support to resolve a housing dispute
How to apply:
Use the online form to make a complaint or contact them via the details above for more information
Last updated: