Community mental health teams (CMHTs) have three key functions in providing mental health care for older people:
- Giving advice to other professionals on the management of mental health problems – in particular, providing advice to primary care, such as GP surgeries, and making sure appropriate referrals are made
- Providing treatment and care for those with short-term mental health issues who can benefit from specialist interventions
- Providing treatment and care for those with more complex needs
Most patients treated by Harrow Older People Community Mental Health Team will have short-term mental health issues and after a period of weeks or months they will be referred back to their general practitioner (GP) when their condition has improved. A small minority, however, who need specialist care will remain with the team for a longer period for ongoing treatment, care and monitoring.
The team welcome referrals for service users with the following mental health difficulties:
- People of any age with a primary diagnosis of dementia (this excludes traumatic brain injury and Korsakoff's)
- People with mental disorder and significant physical illness or frailty which contributes to, or complicates the management of their mental disorder. Exceptionally this may include people under the age of 60 years
- People with psychological or social difficulties related to the ageing process, or end of life issues, or who feel their needs may be best met by an older people service. This would normally include people over the age of 70 years
The criteria above will be applied bearing in mind the person’s choice about services.
Bentley House, 3rd Floor, 15-21 Headstone Drive, Harrow, HA3 5QX
CNWL NHS Trust
Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and 24hr answer machine service
Who is it for:
Elderly people (over 65yrs) with mental health difficulties who live in Harrow.
They usually see people in their own homes.
How to apply:
Referrals can be made by a GP, social services or other health professionals. If someone has had previous contact with the team they can call up directly.
140, 182, 186, 258, 340, H10
Harrow & Wealdstone (Bakerloo, Overground, National Rail)